Thursday, August 19, 2010

Charles Lloyd - Montreux 82




This is simply a fantastic album, and I cannot fathom why it has not be issued on CD, particularly with Lloyd's recent acceptance as an elder statesman. I've searched for years, and finally gave up. I have a nice turntable, but I damaged the stylus moving it last year. Given that I only have a handful of records I need to digitize, I put off replacing it. Well, I started shopping for a USB turntable, and quickly realized that the cost was going to be close to what it would cost to replace my cartridge. As it happens, that was not entirely true, but I was able to find a 'good enough' replacement for about 1/3 the cost thanks to some help from the good folks at Needle Doctor.


This album may contain one of my all-time favorite versions of Bill Evans' Very Early. While not essential, the whole date cooks, and Lloyd is in excellent form.

  1. Introduction
  2. Imke (The Call)
  3. Wind in the Trees
  4. Very Early
  5. Michel
  6. Forest Flower (Sunrise/Sunset)
Charles Lloyd - tenor sax
Michel Petrucciani - piano
Palle Danielsson - bass
Son Ship Theus - drums

Recorded at the Montreux Jazz Festival, July, 1982

Elektra/Musician 60220-1

1 comment:

ernesto said...

thank's for posting this. I've been trying to find this record for a while. michel's playing here is unique!