Saturday, April 18, 2009

George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet - Live at The Village Vanguard, Vol. 1




Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1

1. The Necessary Blues
2. Solitude
3. Intentions
4. Diane

George Adams - tenor sax
Don Pullen - piano
Cameron Brown - bass
Dannie Richmond - drums

Recorded 1983, NYC

192 KBPS mp3s

This is not the quartet's best record, but at the same time, it' representative of a good show for them. I was somewhat disappointed when I saw them live. The studio albums all seemed to have two killer tracks, and three that were either middle-of-the-road or dogs. They did the same thing live. However, when they were on, they were on. Still, I find when I go back and listen to this group now, there was more happening than I was aware of at the time (cut me some slack, I was a teenager). Link in comments.

4 comments:

bayviewsax-lostsoul.blogspot.com said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/222853699/_1983__Live_at_the_Village_Vanguard__Vol._1.zip

Neroon001 said...

2 for 2 someone must be looking out for me today ( quite frankly he hasn't been doing his job for the last 2 weeks) thanks again for sharing what I think was a great jazz quartet.

bayviewsax-lostsoul.blogspot.com said...

Glad to do it. Did you ever get to see them live? Quite an experience.

Neroon001 said...

I was never so lucky,but I am making up for it in finding anything they did that is available.Don Pullen is one of my all time favorite pianist,he just floors me and I really enjoy his solo and trio works as well.First heard of him from a jazz radio station in NJ called WBGO when I lived up north.Thanks again for sharing these recordings