Thursday, March 27, 2008

Archie Shepp - Jazz A Confronto


By request. This is THE Shepp Quintet, from a great period. Unfortunately, this was digitized from the LP, and from the file size, I'm guessing it was mono. I'm not sure why, but if I recall, the reason was something to do with my turntable outs malfunctioning. Anyway, here it is.

It's two long tunes, one soprano, one tenor. Then tenor cut, Lybia, is simply awesome. Shepp is in top form, wailing and crying with some of his fiercest energy on record. At one point early in Shepp's 14-minute solo, Cameron Brown actually drops out -- it burns that much. All the Horos are OOP, though some of them are available from old stock. I've queried the founder of Horo about the plausibility of any of this stuff being reissued on CD. He informed me that there were no plans to do that. Hopefully, someone will buy him out and do just that!

1. Lybia
2. My Heart Cries Out To Africa

Rome, Italy, September 28, 1975

Archie Shepp - tenor sax, soprano sax
Charles Majid Greenlee - trombone
Dave Burrell - piano
Cameron Brown - bass
Beaver Harris - drums

11 comments:

bayviewsax-lostsoul.blogspot.com said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/102914704/Jazz_A_Confronto.rar

Daniel said...

Thanks, my friend! This is truly excellent!

SOTISE said...

bayview .. thanks for this rarity.
not shepps best band perhaps but
im glad ive visited again after all this time.

i only just found your blog again after 8 months..
thanks for all the great gems .. im glad youre still here.

bayviewsax-lostsoul.blogspot.com said...

Still here and still mouthy! ;)

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the Shepp. I'm going to take the other line on the band though; I think this is by far Shepp's best band. Just wish I'd been able to convert it in stereo... going to have to look into my equipment options on that front.

david_grundy said...

interesting...

what do you think of shepp's more recent bands? (I'm thinking more the acoustic groups with amina myers, tom mclung, and so on, rather than the godawful fusion/rap stuff with chuck d, jalal)

bayviewsax-lostsoul.blogspot.com said...

I love Shepp. But to my ear (and for my money) Shepp from 1973-1979 is the best stuff, regardless of who is with him. But, the Brown/Burrell/Greenlee/Harris band is my favorite.

I've haven't heard all of the Myers stuff, but what I've heard I've liked. My *least* favorite stuff (perhaps next to the godawful fusion/rap stuff) is the stuff with Kenny Werner and the stuff with Jasper Van't Hoff (sp?).

Unknown said...

Thanks.

wightdj said...

HORO is such a mystery. Why has that great back catalog never made it to CD? Thanks for this.

bayviewsax-lostsoul.blogspot.com said...

I conversed with the owner of the company via e-mail a couple of years back when he was trying to clear out the remainder of his vinyl copies. He said there were no plans to issue them on CD (I think he's still buried in vinyl).

peskypesky said...

thanks for posting this. looking forward to hearing it.

me said...

Thanks man, for this one! I totally agree with you on what's Shepp's best period, the records for Enja and Denon especially, and Hi-Fly with singer Karin Krogg. I have two other HORO records from Shepp: 'Mariamar' and 'Body and Soul'. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to digitalize them.