Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dorothy Ashby - In A Minor Groove


  1. Pawky
  2. Moonlight In Vermont
  3. Back Talk
  4. Dancing In The Dark
  5. Charmaine
  6. Jollity
  7. There's A Small Hotel
  8. Rascallity
  9. You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To
  10. It's a Minor Thing
  11. Yesterdays
  12. Bohemia After Dark
  13. Taboo
  14. Autumn In Rome
  15. Alone Together
Dorothy Ashby - harp
Frank Wess - flute
Herman Wright - bass
Roy Haynes, Art Taylor - drums

Recorded 1958
192 KPBS mp3s

Jazz harp anyone? Seriously, if you're not familiar with this, you've gotta check this out. I knew nothing of Dorothy Ashby when I discovered this. I figured she was a vocalist from the cover, and when I spun it I was totally blown away. Of course, she's surrounded by some heavy hitters, too. It's pretty mellow, but swings like hell anyway. Definitely worth the DL. Link in comments.

5 comments:

bayviewsax-lostsoul.blogspot.com said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/223057530/Ashby__Dorothy.zip

troods said...

Your generosity and hard work is soooo appreciated. I've been looking for this album for quite a while. Music bloggers are a special kind of people!

djcidxl said...

a very very special kind of people indeed, thank you!

L said...

I wasn't familiar with her - beautiful stuff, and better than other jazz harp that I've heard. Great post.

bobbysu said...

thank you so much